Thursday, April 30, 2009

And the Winner Is...

Last night I entered a "Battle of the Bards" -- a competition for writers delivering their work orally. I won first place.

An event like this is as much about how you present your work as your work itself. Fortunately, I read a comedic piece, and I made the audience of 25-odd people laugh. Nine of the twelve contestants were poets, and no one else read anything humorous, so I stood out well.

By the way, while I am currently the president of the Brandywine Valley Writers Group, this event was staged by a different writing organization, the Chester County Writer's Workshop.

It's been awhile since I came in first in a competition. I still find it hard to believe that people voted for me instead of one of the hot girl poets!

I don't know how long this link will be up, but here are some photos of the event. The MC is Tom Lillard, the guitarist is Jake Michaels. Poet Andrea Daniels took most of the photos, and Julie Latham was the main organizer.

http://www.kodakgallery.com/ShareLanding.action?c=18glzfwk.6rukxez8&x=0&y=-eh5fir&localeid=en_US

2 comments:

  1. Hey Tony,

    Just wanted to say Hey! It's Brian from BC. This ID is from a failed blog from last summer.

    Congrats on the win! Looks like a fun event, although I'm kinda surprised to hear it's your first win. Maybe it's the start of a hot streak.

    BTW, the gentleman shown with his girlfriend "hanging around" is one of our former comics customers, Jason Coover. Small world.

    Anyway, just wanted to say Hi! and Congrats again.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Brian!

    I hope all is going as well for you as possible. Any new work yet? (Though I doubt you'll find another job where you can wear a Green Lantern tee-shirt to work!)

    ReplyDelete