Monday, October 29, 2012

Hunkering Down

I'm awaiting the arrival of Hurricane Sandy.  It's not my first hurricane, and I'm well positioned: 35 miles west of Philadelphia, so I'm inland; and atop a hill, so I have no worries about flood.  There's always to possibility of wind damage, of course.  The electricity and internet will probably go down.

But hunkering down does give me even more time to read and write.  Reading the minor stories in today's paper, I learned a new word: "ovine," meaning "of, relating to, or having the appearance of sheep."  It was in an AP story about a shepherds' protest in Madrid, Spain.  As long as I'm learning, I figure the day hasn't been wasted.

And I can always write longhand by candlelight!

1 comment:

  1. The power is back on, and the only damage is some fallen limbs. We were lucky.

    ReplyDelete