Saturday, June 9, 2012

No More Click, No More Clack



Oh, this is sad:  Tom and Ray Magliozzi, a.k.a. "Click and Clack, the Tappet Brothers," are retiring.

NPR has announced that their most popular show will end new programs in September.  Their staff will splice together "Best of" shows, compiled from their 25-year archive.  But there will be no more new shows.

The elder brother, Tom, is 74 years old, and the duo feels that it's time to go.  Or, as they put it, it's time to "stop and smell the cappuccino."

They have actually been doing the show for 35 years out of WBUR in Boston.  It has only been carried on NPR for the last 25 years.

I haven't listened to "Car Talk" regularly in years.  But I liked knowing it was there, and that I could catch it if I wanted.

Personally, I'd sooner that anything else on NPR be canceled.  That includes Garrison Keillor's long-running "Prairie Home Companion."  Hell, that includes the NPR shows that I've been a guest on!

Nothing lasts forever.  But I know I'm going to miss Tom and Ray.

No comments:

Post a Comment